Expected release 22 04 23
2xLP / green vinyl. 20th anniversary one-off limited-edition heavyweight special-edition coloured vinyl pressing + download code exclusively for Record Store Day 2023 of Soul Jazz Records’ classic Studio One Ska.
1. Jackie Mittoo – El Bang Bang
2. Ken Boothe & Stranger Cole – Arte Bella
3. The Wailers – (I'm Gonna) Put It On
4. The Skatalites – Addis Ababa
1. Roland Alphonso – President Kennedy
2. Joe Higgs – (I'm The) Song My Enemies Sing
3. The Skatalites – Beardsman Ska
4. Delroy Wilson – I Want Justice
1. Tommy McCook's Orchestra – Sampson
2. The Ethiopians – I'm Gonna Take Over
3. Tommy McCook – Freedom Sounds
4. The Maytals – Marching On
1. The Skatalites – Exodus
2. Roland Alphonso – Look Away Ska
3. Don Drummond – Don Cosmic
4. Roland Alphonso – Scambalena
5. Andy & Joey – You're Wondering Now
Soul Jazz Records’ new 20th anniversary one-off limited-edition heavyweight special-edition coloured vinyl pressing + download code exclusively for Record Store Day 2023 of Soul Jazz Records’ classic Studio One Ska.
A blistering collection of non-stop Ska classic tunes from Clement ‘Sir Coxsone’ Dodd’s legendary Studio One Records, Jamaica's foundation label of reggae music. Featuring classic cuts from the originators of Ska alongside a heavy dose of superb rarities from the might vaults of 13 Brentford Road - pure fire!
Studio One Records and the seminal in-house band The Skatalites created and defined Ska in the process making Jamaican music famous throughout the world. This compilation features classic vocal and instrumental tracks from The Skatalites, Bob Marley and The Wailers, Delroy Wilson alongside super-rare tracks from the likes of Ken Boothe, The Maytals, Jackie Mittoo, Tommy McCook and many more.
Clement ‘Sir Coxsone’ Dodd’s musical empire was founded on Ska, the first explosive and most exciting music to come out of the newly independent Jamaica, which soon spread across the world. This album is a celebration of the music of Studio One Records’ seminal Ska releases and features a who’s who of the most important artists and musicians in the history of reggae. Studio One is often described as both the University of Reggae and the Motown of Jamaica.